January 29, 2015
The Florida crime of “assault” can be thought of in lay terms as a swing and a miss: the miss may be intention, but if it creates a well founded, immediate fear that violence is about to happen, that is an assault under Florida law.
Assault is divided into degrees, as well as by felony and misdemeanor. Here are some of the possible combinations:
- Misdemeanor Assault, non-domestic
- Misdemeanor Assault, domestic
- Aggravated Assault, non-domestic
- Aggravated Assault, domestic
- Aggravated Assault with a firearm
- The 10-20-life law is a common enhancement when a firearm is used. By this law, a person can be sentenced to ten (10) years in prison with no gain time if a gun is pulled, and twenty (20) years if the gun is fired.
At Cobb Criminal Defense Law Firm, we have had extensive experience handling all types of assault cases, from investigation before arrest through trial by jury. In every assault case, we build a customized team so we can achieve the best result, whether the case is definitely going to a trial or a reduction in charge and a plea bargain is the goal.
Whether the charge facing you or your loved one is a felony or a misdemeanor, it is very important to have a highly skilled criminal law legal team on your side. It is never a good idea to try to handle these types of cases by yourself, because each year, many are arrested for tampering with a witness – a third degree felony.
Do not ever have a friend or family member contact the complaining witness to “get them to drop charge,” because
- they cannot drop the charges, and;
- this is how most people get arrested for witness tampering or in violation of a No Contact order, especially in misdemeanor cases.
[catlisthd hd=”Assault and Battery:” link=”https://cobblawfirm.com/5-common-mistakes-first-offenders-make-in-assault-and-battery-cases-in-florida/”]
Now it’s time to call – we don’t do initial consultation by text message and the Internet can’t represent you in court.
You Might Be Interested In:
- How Are Assault And Battery Charges Defined In Florida?
- What Factors Can Enhance Or Aggravate An Assault Charge?
- What Items Can Be Considered As Deadly Weapons In An Assault Scenario?
- What Are The Potential Defenses In Assault And Battery Cases?
- What Are The Sentencing Guidelines For Assault And Battery Cases?
- What Are The Common Mistakes People Make In Assault And Battery Cases?
- Comparison Between A Negotiated Dismissal And A Diversion Program
- Does Someone Need A Lawyer For A First Time Battery Charge?
- Do I Still Need An Attorney If I Plan On Pleading Guilty?
- Will Getting Counseling Prior To Trial Help My Case?
- What Effect Does Brain Imaging Have On A Defense?
- How Is Your Approach To Handling Assault And Battery Cases Unique?