Florida Firearms Crimes Attorney
Firearms can be extremely dangerous and, for this reason, Florida lawmakers and prosecutors take any kind of unlawful use of a weapon very seriously. Combine our state’s exceptionally strict gun crimes laws with Florida’s controversial and widely misunderstood Stand your Ground law and it is no surprise that many cases involving firearms may become complex and convoluted. It is imperative that you have a defense attorney with a thorough understanding of Florida firearms law if you have been arrested or are facing charges.
Charges Directly Related To Firearms
You may be charged with certain offenses based on a firearm even if you were not allegedly committing any other offense at the time. These charges include the following:
- Carrying a concealed firearm without a license
- Carrying a concealed weapon without a license
- Improper exhibition of a dangerous weapon or firearm
- Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon
- Possession or discharge of destructive device
If you are suspected to have committed one of the above offenses you may face felony charges and potentially serious consequences.
Firearm Enhancements For Other Offenses
If addition to the above crimes directly related to possessing a firearm, individuals may be subject to a weapons or firearms enhancement if they use a weapon of firearm during the commission of another criminal offense. Such criminal offenses that are often enhanced by firearm possession include aggravated assault, aggravated battery, sexual assault, robbery, and more.
Such enhancements trigger mandatory minimum sentences in Florida, which are commonly known as 10-20-Life. In short this means that the following will apply:
- You carried a firearm = 10 year minimum-mandatory prison sentence
- You discharged a firearm = 20 year minimum-mandatory prison sentence.
- A victim was shot or killed = 25 year minimum-mandatory prison sentence to life in prison.
Contact An Experienced Firearms Defense Attorney Today
Florida Criminal Defense Legal Group, PLLC has been litigating firearm and gun cases for decades. We have handled every aspect of such cases, from pre-arrest investigations and plea negotiations to trial by jury. We understand the severe consequences of firearm offenses or enhancements, so contact us today at 850-423-0035 to discuss your firearms case.